Proceedings of the 10th World Rabies Day KVA Conference held on 27th September 2016
The Kenya Veterinary Association in partnership with several stakeholders joined the rest of the world in the efforts to prevent and where possible to eliminate rabies from the Kenya population by celebrating in a series of events in Mombasa County.
This year World Rabies Day celebrations took place on the coastal city of Mombasa, on 27th and 28th September 2016 under the theme “Educate, Vaccinate, Eliminate”. The events started with a Rabies scientific conference held at Sai Rock Hotel in Mombasa on 27th September 2016. Approximately 190 delegates attended the conference. The participants learned about the progress of National Rabies Control strategy implementation, responsible dog ownership, disconnect in the human and animal rabies control, trends in rabies research and surveillance, and policy environment in animal rabies control (program attached). The workshop was officially opened by Ms. Lorna Odero, Director of Administration, State Department of Livestock who read the speech of Principal Secretary, State Department of Livestock. The workshop participants also had an opportunity to discuss the proposed amendments to the Veterinary Surgeons and Veterinary Paraprofessionals act, Cap 366 by Kenya Veterinary Board.
Access the proceedings of the 10th World Rabies Day KVA conference held at Sai Rock Hotel in Mombasa on 27th September 2016 by clicking the image on the right pane.
The presentations covered the following areas:
- Contribution of responsible dog ownership towards ending rabies by 2030 by Dr. Emily Mudoga, World Animal Protection
- Proposed amendments to the VSVP Act Cap 366 Presenter by Dr. Mary Agutu, Kenya Veterinary Board
- The disconnect in human and animal Rabies control by Dr. Wycliffe Mbaya
- Global elimination of rabies OIE perspective by Dr Wakhusama, OIE
- Speeches during opening ceremony:
- Dr. Sam Kahariri: Chairman Kenya Veterinary Association
- Dr. Dave Kehara: County Director of veterinary Services and Rep. CEC, Agriculture, livestock and fisheries
- Dr. Mwenda Mbaka: chairman Kenya Veterinary Board
- Dr. Sam Wakhusama: OIE representative
- Dr. Kisa Juma: Director of Veterinary Services
- Chief Guest: Lorna Adero (Rep. PS State department of livestock)
- Animal Rabies Control Policy Environment in Kenya by Dr Kisa Juma, Director Veterinary Services
- Implementing the Kenya National Rabies Elimination Strategy -Lessons learnt Presenter by Prof. Sam Thumbi, KEMRI
- Implementation of the Rabies Elimination Strategy update on Makueni County pilot by Dr Daniel Ksee, Makueni County Government
- Operational research in Rabies control strategy implementation by Dr Matthew Muturi, ZDU
- Rabies diagnosis at RVIL MARIAKANI by Dr Mutinda