Vacancy: Project Manager – KVA Donkey Welfare project
The Kenya Veterinary Association (KVA) is a membership professional association for Veterinary Surgeons whose mandate is primarily to promote the economic development and welfare of its members as well as to safeguard the health and welfare of animals with an overall aim of enhancing animal welfare. Towards this end the Association is involved in advocacy on issues affecting the animal resource industry in collaboration with other stakeholders. The Association is currently undertaking an equine welfare improvement project in partnership with Brooke EA under its livelihood support program in Kajiado County. The Association is in the process of recruiting a Project Manager to join the highly motivated project team.
The Project Manager will have the ultimate management responsibility for the project and will ensure that the project activities are completed in time in line with budgetary guidelines. The Project Manager will report directly to the Head of the Secretariat. The overall function of the Project Manager will be to implement the strategic goals and objectives of the project. The position is based in Kajiado, KVA Isinya office with frequent travels within the County.
1. Program implementation, oversight and development
- Leads the implementation of the Brooke Donkey Welfare project.
- Organizes trainings, roundtables, networking events and other activities to achieve the goals and objectives of the project.
- Works together with the KVA NEC and management team for future program development.
- Develops work plans, budgets and progress reports as required by KVA, donors and other partners
- Maintains relationships the donor, project partners and stakeholders in order to create a network in which peer-learning and experience-sharing can occur.
- Build a strong team and enhance teamwork during the implementation of the project
2. Communication & Monitor and Evaluation
- Represents the project in dealing with partners, government agencies, donor agencies and beneficiaries, and at public appearances.
- Ensures monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet KVA and Brooke’s standards and are completed on schedule
- Implement the staff appraisal system among the project team
- Reviews and finalizes project reports
- Ensure the project team adheres to all the policies of KVA at all times
3. Financial management and grant oversight
- Responsible for implementing activities in accordance with project or activity budgets.
- As accounting officer ensure sound management of finances, personnel, project facilities and risks in partnership with finance team.
- Consults with project accountant and Finance & Administration team regarding best practices for financial administration of project work
- Develops and monitors the grant agreements and sub-agreements for project partners
- Ensure all the financial policies are adhered to by the entire project team.
- University degree in Veterinary Medicine from a KVB recognized university.
- Member of the Kenya Veterinary Association (KVA) of good professional standing.
- Duly registered & retained by the Kenya Veterinary Board (KVB)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Project Management with demonstrated success in project planning, financial management, program monitoring, report writing, identifying and procuring technical assistance.
- Computer certificate from a recognized institution.
- Experience in Animal Welfare advocacy programs is an added advantage
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities; comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and committed to meeting deadlines and creating and improving processes.
- Strong presentation, interpersonal and mentoring skills with ability to build relationships and work effectively with myriad stakeholders.
- A track record that demonstrates energy and creativity, and the ability to successfully prioritize and manage competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- Experience in data processing (Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel), PowerPoint presentation softwares (Microsoft PowerPoint) E-mail, and Internet browser software.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV, stating qualifications, experience, current position and remuneration, phone contact, email address, name and addresses of two (2) referees, enclosing copies of relevant certificates/testimonials, by Thursday 31st July 2017 to:
Hon Secretary, Kenya Veterinary Association, Head Office, Veterinary Research Labs, Kabete, P. O. Box 29089 – 00625 Kangemi Nairobi Kenya. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must meet the minimum requirements and must be ready to begin work immediately. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted no later than Friday 4th August 2017.